12.11.10

Jessica Chan's project

I am really interested in form and structure, so for this project I wanted to take building plans and old maps of the Millbank/Pimlico area as my primary research. I made photocopies of Chelsea College’s building plan and began to translate their information and detail into geometric drawings of simple lines and shapes.


In terms of creating a “new” fabric, I have been fascinated with deterioration of natural fabrics and so I began thinking of combining non-biodegradable fabrics with biodegradable fabrics. So when the natural fibred fabric slowly deteriorates, it leaves the non-biodegradable fabric intact, which can then be replaced.

After receiving the brief I wanted to explore the idea of entrapment and release and this developed into my idea of creating a lace by laser cutting my geometric designs into various fabrics.

No comments:

Post a Comment