22.11.10

Mandeep Mann's project

The idea for my project stems from the confinement of prisoners within cells, with only windows and prison bars to look out from.

I began my research by observing and drawing gates and railings from differing perspectives. I tried to capture the way the gates disappear into the distance. The visit to the Ironwork and Islamic galleries at the V&A was very inspiring.

My drawings are very 3D and decorative. There is a change in pattern intensity and relief, which I have tried to capture and communicate within fabric. I have been experimenting with techniques such as quilting, hand embroidery and encasing materials within fabrics. I have also explored marbling techniques. The resulting fabric that I have developed has an optical illusion quality, which is exciting. I will continue to develop this technique further with the emphasis on high and low relief combined with intricate patterns.

No comments:

Post a Comment